Monday, November 17, 2014

Nov. 13 Observations

This is the final set of observations for my MicroAquarium project. In general, I have seen less of any  microorganism than I have at any time prior to this observation. I specifically observed one specimen of Spirogyra sp. of algae running through the tank. I have seen these since the beginning but I did not realize what they were until later into the project. This algae is made up of what looks like green spirals inside of the organism. There was an abundant amount of algae and cyanobacteria in the tank, most of which I had seen before but some of it looks slightly different. On the bottom of the tank I noticed a hair-like organism moving about. It would move slowly but just seemed to bend and writhe.   I had never noticed these organisms before but I am unclear as to whether they are a new species or one that I overlooked. I noticed also that the bottom of the tank (Not near the soil but rather just littered on the side of the glass) where countless elongated oval looking things. I was looking at these on the highest magnification and could not tell whether they were spores or maybe seeds. I was still able to see one Cyclops sp. These have been observed every day since the first day and have been a consistent survivor of the tank although there numbers seemed to fall slightly as time went on. I was only able to observe one Cyclops sp. this time and at the beginning I observed at least three lurking in the tank. I observed one Ostracod sp. seed shrimp. I was able to see many more at the beginning of the observations but now only see one. The seed shrimp typically moved very rapidly to avoid the light and was usually seen sifting through the dirt. I still saw many Nematode sp., about seven to be exact. These seemed to become more apparent in the later observations but were really prominent after  the food pellet was placed. Overall, it appeared that there were less animals in the tank and more algae and plant life. I don't even recall seeing a rotifer in my last observation. Much of the animal life has died off and the algae and plants seem to continue to prosper regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment