Monday, November 10, 2014

Observations Nov. 6th

This weeks observations revealed less specimens than any week thus far. At the bottom of the tank by the soil I saw what looked like several seed-like casings, the shells of something who shed them. They seemed to be in the shape of lima beans and split down the middle. The majority of what I observed were many Euchlanis sp. and Nematodes. I have seen Euchlanis sp. since I created the tank but Nematodes have been something that I have noticed more of the longer the tank has sat. This week I noticed more Nematodes than I have ever seen. I saw one Stentor sp. that I also observed last week. However, this Stentor sp. looked slightly different as it appeared to have something green making up most of its being. I observed 2 Cyclops sp., roughly the same as the last week. I have been seeing these since the beginning of the tank. Also observed was one Gastrotrich sp. Several of these were found last week but only one was seen this time. I found what looked like a Nematode who became stuck amidst what looked like cyanobacteria or some sort of algae close to the soil. It eventually freed itself but was stuck for some time. I have also noticed several specimens of Zygnema sp. (Prescott 1978) of algae. I realized that I have been observing many specimens of Spirogyra sp. (Prescott 1978) algae since the beginning and it has grown to be a major factor in the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment